Saturday, November 7, 2015

Remembering your why: Let's keep the conversation rolling.


"Kangen...Everyday he cries...Mummy I miss you, kangen!" Sri tells me as I ask if she has spoken to her son.  Mother-to-mother, my heart sinks and feels for this woman not much younger than myself who has left her two-year-old child in the care of her own mother in Sulawesi, while she travelled to another island in the vast archipelago for work that would provide enough for herself, family and small child.  Even as I think about it as I write, my heart feels for her and tears well.  I think about her beautiful smile and the heart ache I could see as she told me about the 'bad husband' that left her with a small child to support, as she told me about the back-breaking work that rice planting is, with such little pay.  As we mix English, Indonesian and often a few charades, I listen to her story, I am struck yet again with the opportunities that I, as an Australian woman have compared to Sri born in a poorer part of our neighbouring country Indonesia.

Sadly, Sri's is not the first story that I, like many of you I am sure have heard like this but it is in the meeting with and listening to the stories of men and women while I have been on holiday that sparked my interest in the country, it's people, the language and my desire to make a difference.

It was second time that I travelled to this mystical holiday island of Bali to which I had related to as a place where my rich friends went, enjoyed sitting by the pool and haggling for cheap goods that I started to realise that there was so much more to this country of Indonesia than the holiday isle.  My children were about the ages of seven and three and I sat in the foyer of my hotel chatting with one of the staff.  As we chatted I asked her about if she lived close, if she had family... she was from East Java, and she had a child, the same age as my youngest, she also had had a 'bad husband' and her child was in the care of her mother in East Java.

Ignorant to expense of travelling and the typicalness of this situation, I asked "Do you get to see him often?"  She looked at the floor, "No, maybe every three months, sometimes not, it depends if I have enough money."  I was shocked, I couldn't imagine not seeing my children for such a long period of time.  She and I sat there and where language had failed us, the tears in both of our eyes said more than words ever could.

Fast forward a few years, I had learned a bit of language and at my Balinese friend's suggestion I found myself wandering a village teaching English in a little school and having daily long-winded chats with an older gentleman on the concrete platform that was the local bemo stop - the phrase "O begitu!" served me very well.   The little school is one of but a few which also takes in children with disabilities.  I remember a couple coming one day with their child who had club feet, and watching them explain the the principal with great desperation and hope in their eyes for a chance for their child to attend the school.  I remember learning that they had come very far.

But nothing had prepared me for the day a young girl maybe about the age of eleven or twelve came aided by her mother, she had polio.  One of my friend's mothers had had polio in Australia whilst I was growing up, she constantly had to wear a brace and I knew quite alot about the disease and am ever so grateful for vaccinations which makes the disease effectively non-existent in my generation. To now see a child with this completely preventable disease was heart-breaking. I found myself asking 'How can this be happening in my neighbouring country, where so many of us come to holiday?'  Her mother one day had stopped me to tell me about her daughter and her prospects - another moment that urged me on to continue to connect our neighbouring countries above and beyond  the relationship Australia has with Bali as a holiday destination.

So why bring this up? Well, because from time to time I get busy, and bogged down in all of the work to be done, all of the emails, documents and politics that so often go along with getting things done that I become disillusioned and forget why I started this 'Let's connect our countries and work together' business and I have to stop and remind myself of these among other moments, of the people. I wonder if others get like me and forget why and for whom they started.  Everyone's story is different, do you have a moment?  If you'd like to share please do in the comments, what spurs you on?  And if you've got a little bogged-down like I have lately, I hope this has helped you remember your why.

We hope you enjoy this edition of the blog with a varied selection of readings and opinion for your viewing and thought.  We thank those of you who have submitted or recommended articles for publication.  Keep them coming, let's keep the conversation rolling... on that note, we encourage you to comment with your thoughts and opinions, the bigger the conversation, the bigger the difference we can make.

Sampai kali depan,

Ed.



Something important to note:

There's been some talk in the media lately about having a limited number of Visa on Arrivals into Indonesia.  Our president Ross Taylor has spoken to the Indonesian Ambassador to Australia, Pak Nadjib who has confirmed that there is no change to the VOA for Australians at present and that the standard USD$35.00 will continue to apply and Australians can travel to Bali, using VOA as many times as they like.

We are continuing to lobby hard to have the visas for Indonesians touring to Australia changed, which is currently set at AUD $130.00 per person, with no online application process.  Hardly seems fair does it?


Literature

Setting the Scene: The Japanese Occupation Excerpt from the newly published Revolution City of Heroes: A Memoir of the Battle that Sparked Indonesia's National Revolution by Suhario Padmodiwiryo translated by Francis Palmos.

Connection Opportunity

Can a Kangaroo make Friends with a Komodo? by Lauren Gumbs.  Check out the Australia Awards CAFE program!  Life-time Aus-Indo friendships and connections... if you are reading this, it could very well be a fit for you!

Panel Discussion (Video 45min)

A Man and a Myth: Jokowi's First Year in Power Liam Gammon leads a panel discussion on the highs and lows of Joko Widodos first 12 months via New Mandela (November 2015).

In the News and Opinion

These 'people smugglers' need an apology from all of us by Ross Taylor (October 2015).

Public Ignorance key to Indo-Aus Tensions by Rebecca Le May.  Rebecca writes from the recent visit of Professor Tim Lindsey in Perth (October 2015).

Indonesian Human Rights: Greater Protections since Reformasi? by Jack Buckley (October 2015).

Indonesia is burning.  So why is the world looking away?  by George Monbiot via The Guardian (October 2015).

Is Jokowi Nostalgic for the Good Ol' Days of Suharto? by Johannes Nugruho via The Jakarta Globe (October 2015).

Diagnosing Asia's Australian Problem by Melissa Conley Tyler via The Interpreter (October 2015).

Are vested interests always lurking behind Indonesian policymaking? by Matthew Busch via Indonesia at Melbourne (October 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment